Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Beater with a Heater: Planes, Trains and Automobiles (& Bicycles)

It doesn't pay to be tied to a mechanical piece of equipment. Reliance on the operation and availability and possession of something that is just a 100,000 pieces of metal, fiberglass and plastic, but zooms along at inordinate speeds (sometimes), and people have the expectation that it works nearly 100% of the time is rather foolish, once you find yourself without it, or left with the carnage of financial deal gone bad, or at the mercy of some yah-hoo careening down the turnpike and smashing into your hot ride.

My family drew the low card in the game of asshole with the car problems. You can't even imagine what I go through with them over something I have come to despise as much for its presence as I do for its inadequate operation.

Now, I can hear you thinking: "Complaining again about whatever is his woes." No, that isn't my Johnny Quest here. My thinking is that I would rather never see another car again. They pollute. They take too much money to acquire and maintain. They have to be recycled somehow. And I always feel we miss out on the freedom of being unencumbered by their usage in getting our daily bread made.

We need machines - green ones would be nice - but I get tired of fact I must own one to have a way to pay for meals, live in a box that is worth less than a painting by Grandma Moses, or taking a woman to some overpriced Steak & Ale joint far as hades from the Sunset Strip of my Lost in Translation reality. Anytime I put myself in a car, I say, "Fuck I hate driving."

I remember driving on some last piece of Route 66 when I was young, thinking how awesome the feel of the wind and sun was in the car. It was foolish youth - in a new experience - that guided my thinking.

Now, after five years of driving 75-125 miles per day, I am over the fun of playing a bit role in the demise of the U.S. Economy. I don't need a car to have a life.

I like bicycles now. More freedom and joy comes from the pedaling and picking a path out to wherever than comes from my automotive experience. It's healthy - I need to lose 10-20 lbs. - and that might help America too.

Get off the planes, trains and automotive gerbel wheel and start loving your bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment